Braised Cabbage & Kale with Smoked Bacon
- Whether as a holiday side dish or with a weeknight dinner, this recipe ensures your family eats their greens…without complaint! To make this a vegetarian dish, omit the bacon and use vegetable stock.
This recipe is prepared with the Temp-tations® Floral Lace 24-Piece Oven-to-Table Set (K39348).
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 1/2 lb thick-cut smoked bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 6 cups thinly sliced kale
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Sauté the bacon until browned and just crispy in a large stockpot. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are soft. Add the red and green cabbage, kale, stock, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir together, cover and bring to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the butter.