Bourbon Banana Upside-Down Cake
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt butter in a 10'' nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, bourbon, and simmer for about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the skillet from the heat and arrange the bananas on top of sugar mixture.
- Cut the bananas in half lengthwise and arrange them in concentric circles, cut side down. Cut the halves into pieces as necessary to cover the sugar mixture and tuck them as closely together as possible. Or, you can slice the bananas and place the slices flat on the sugar mixture, as closely together as possible. Remember, this will be the top of the cake, so try to arrange the bananas in an attractive manner.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Next, in a separate bowl, bowl of a stand mixer, or food processor, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract together until fluffy and light in color. Add the eggs, 1 at a time and beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture in batches, alternating with the milk, and mixing until just incorporated.
- Spread the batter over the bananas evenly with a spatula. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the top is golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted into center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from oven and let the cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Invert the cake onto a plate, replacing any banana that may remain in the pan. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream or dollop of whipped cream.