- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs ground pork or combination of ground beef, pork, veal, or turkey
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until tender, but not browned, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients, including the onion and garlic, in a large bowl and mix just until everything is combined. Shape the mixture into 1-1/2" balls.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and sauté the meatballs until they are cooked through. Rotate the meatballs halfway through cooking by giving the skillet a good shake. You can check the temperature of the meatballs with an instant-read thermometer (they should reach an internal temperature of 155°F). Alternately, these meatballs can be cooked in a 350°F oven, shaking the pan halfway through cooking to rotate the meatballs.
- Serve in a tomato sauce with pasta or simply on a platter with toothpicks and a dipping sauce.
Recipe provided by Meredith Laurence.