- 1 green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp celery seed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the cabbage and the onion in very thin slices, preferably using a slicer or mandolin. Mix the two together in a large bowl, and toss with 2 Tbsp of the sugar and a dash of salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, mustard powder, 1 Tbsp of sugar and celery seed to a boil. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the vegetable oil. Pour the hot vinaigrette over the cabbage and onions and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper; cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
**This adds a nice crunch to a Reuben sandwich, and turns it into a Rachel sandwich!