Emeril's New Orleans-Style Barbecue Shrimp
- 2 lbs medium (21-24 count) raw shrimp, in shells
- 1 Tbsp Emeril's Original Essence or Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup Barbecue Sauce Base
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 Rosemary Biscuits
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving only their tails attached. (Reserve the shells, if desired, to make the shrimp stock.) Season shrimp with the Essence and black pepper, tossing to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate while making the sauce base and biscuits.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the seasoned shrimp and cook, stirring, until they begin to turn pink, about 2 minutes. Add the cream and barbecue sauce. Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer, stirring, until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a platter with tongs. Gradually whisk the butter into the sauce. Remove from heat.
- Place 2-3 biscuits on each plate. Divide the shrimp among the biscuits and top each serving with 1/3-1/2 cup of the sauce. Serve immediately. Makes 4-6 servings.
Recipes provided by Emeril Lagasse and originally appeared in Emeril's New New Orleans Cooking. Copyright William Morrow Publishers, New York, 1993.