40-Clove Garlic Chicken
- The incredible flavor of 40 (yes, 40!) garlic cloves will put this chicken dish at the top of every garlic lovers' list.
Go to David's Recipe Item Page for the full list of items that David has used in his recipes.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste, for chicken only
- 1 chicken, cut into legs, thighs, and breasts
- 4 Tbsp butter, diced, divided
- 40 garlic cloves, not peeled
- 1/2 cup scallions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp shallots, chopped
- 6 medium-size carrots, peeled
- 6–8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup seeded tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- French bread or crostini, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the oil. Flour and season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Brown the chicken, a few pieces at a time, until all are done. Reserve the chicken on a plate.
Add 2 Tbsp butter and the garlic cloves to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic begins to brown. Stir in the scallions and shallots and cook until they begin to soften. Put in the carrots and let them begin to get a little color. Sprinkle the thyme and allspice over the mixture.
Add the wine, stock, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, then place the chicken back into the Dutch oven. Cover with a lid and bake in the over for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and bake another 10 minutes, or until the chicken's internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Remove the chicken to a serving dish.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the carrots and garlic cloves, serving them alongside the chicken.
Stir the tomatoes, parsley, and 2 Tbsp butter into the remaining sauce in the Dutch oven. Spoon the finished sauce over the chicken. Serve with French bread or crostini pieces.